Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

July 15, 2010

Photo op of the day

 















Ok, so our little (or in this case not-so-much as her body was about 2 inches long) arachnid friends usually don't do a whole lot for me. In fact, I really don't like spiders at ALL. But, this was a particularly spectacular specimen (say that 3 times fast). This particular spider is called Argiope aurantia (aka the Black and Yellow Garden Spider). This is the female. The male is much smaller (about 1/3 the size) and boring brown. The females spin marvelous webs--the males, not so much. Theirs tends to be, well...messy. She's also called the Writing Spider. She is called this because of the distinctive zig-zag scribble that resembles writing found in the middle of her web. Each morning these spiders devour and rebuild the inside circle of their web. This spider's web was incredible--about 18 inches in diameter. Remarkable architects, those spiders are. I wonder how long it took her to weave this splendiferous silvery lattice. 

P.S. these are very NON-aggressive spiders and they are NOT poisonous to humans. 



2 comments:

  1. Cool! My son is very jealous that you have such a cool spider in your yard.

    monalisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had many close encounters with that particular kind of spider. The most memorable was when i was 12. Out in Canton at my grandfathers farm. Imagine, a happy child walking thru the thickly wooded area behind the pasture. Cool summer evening. wind blowing gently amongst the leaves. Life is good. Then BAM! I walked thru its web and on my nose sat the biggest spider my young mind could imagine! I froze like a statue, afraid to move. It did not bite me, just slowly walked down my lip and dropped from my chin to the ground. I backed away to let the spider go about its life and i went about mine.

    Love spiders and all the creatures of the world,

    Terry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.