Man, oh MAN is it dusty in here or what? I sure hate when "real" life interferes with my crafty life, don't you? It's the last Wednesday of the month, so that means it's time for Bombshell Stamps monthly blog hop! This month's theme is "Stencil It In"...gotta use a stencil on your project! Don't have a stencil? No worries...you can use just about ANYTHING that has holes of some sort in it as a stencil! Lace, doilies, punchinella, die cuts, netting, OR...you could make your OWN! What a concept!!! Try punching out shapes from cardstock and use either them or the negative as a stencil! Possibilities ABOUND!
So, if you hopped on over from Alison's fabalicious blog, then you made your way here safe and sound!
This whole idea about stencils got my old "creative gears" a turnin' and a burnin'...I was literally ping-ponging ideas of how I could use stencils. I dug through my collection of brass and plastic stencils and finally decided upon a lovely ornamental brass stencil. The technique I used today is a, um...sort of batik/resist inking thing. Oh...I'll explain the process in a moment...but first, here's my card.
Okee dokee...so how did I do it? Like this:
- Choose a stencil with a large area of "negative" space...this way the patterned paper will show through
- Choose a patterned paper (ones with small designs work well)
- Lay stencil on patterned paper and apply VersaMark or embossing Ink with a sponge over the stencil onto the underlying paper. Make sure you don't move the stencil and be certain to get in all the little spaces.
- Carefully remove stencil and set aside.
- Sprinkle clear embossing powder over inked paper and heat emboss. Let cool.
- Using another sponge, dab black ink all over embossed paper to cover (even over the embossed bits).
- Take a damp cloth or tissue and gently wipe ink away from embossed areas.
- Using clean patterned paper, stamp image in same manner--emboss it, then ink over it.
Here is a complete list of the hop participants in case you want to revisit some (or if you get lost).
Bombshell Blog: http://bombshellstamps.blogspot.com/
----- YOU ARE HERE -----Torrey: http://left-field-studio.blogspot.com/
Rose's Portrait Stamp - Bombshell Stamps
VersaMark and Memento Ink - Tsukineko
Patterned paper - Chatter Box
brass stencil - Plaid
Nestability die - Spellbinders
clear detail embossing powder - Ranger