Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

December 28, 2014

Christmas Morning Casserole

I know...it's been months and months since I've posted anything. I have been very uncreative for quite awhile now.

Van Gogh had his blue period...

Torrey had her non-productive-uncreative-blah period.

Such it is.

Jonathan and I had planned on going to see his folks for Christmas...but instead, we both were hosts to Influenza Type A H1N1 (and yes, I got the shot). Then I started some medication for a new addition to my laundry list of physical diagnoses (I'll post about that later...maybe)....and ended up with a host of side effects from it. So, we postponed our trip by a few days...

then by a few days more...

then by a few more days. 

Before we knew it, Christmas had come and gone. So we are planning on going down to see them in February.

Needless to say, it's been a rather lackluster Christmas.

Quiet.

Peaceful.

Rather nice, actually...and we spent many days in our jammies watching episodes of "House". That made us VERY grateful we didn't have illnesses like those poor fictional characters. Jonathan playfully keeps threatening me with a lumbar puncture. I, in turn, tell him he most likely needs a brain biopsy.

I did, however, muster up enough energy to make a nice breakfast for Christmas morning. It's sort of a quiche-like egg dish. Sort of. Except there is no crust. It's super easy.

It's really yummy, and it can be adapted to include just about any accoutrements you desire (meat, veggies, etc).

Christmas Morning Casserole

Ingredients:
  • 9-12 eggs (12 if you're adding additional ingredients like meat or veggies)
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (your choice)...I used 1 cup smoked Gouda, 1 cup cheddar
  • 1/4 cup cream (or half n' half  OR milk)...I used cream
  • 4-6 green onions, diced
  • 1 can (16 oz) refrigerated biscuits (I used flaky)
  • OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS: You can add other stuff if you feel like it... 3-5 pieces cooked bacon cut into 1 inch pieces, 2/3 cup diced ham, 2/3 cup cooked and crumbled sausage, 2/3 cup diced veggies (like asparagus, broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, whatever)...though I did NOT.
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 F (~ 175 C) 
  • Spray 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray
  • In large bowl, combine eggs and cream and beat until well blended
  • Separate dough into individual biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 6 "pie" pieces.
  • Stir egg mixture, cheese, and onions until combined.
  • Gently fold in biscuit pieces and stir until all pieces are well-incorporated and coated with egg mixture.
  • Pour it all into greased baking pan 
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes until biscuit pieces are browned and eggs are just set in middle 
  • Makes 10-12 servings (or more, or less...depending on serving size)

Bon appetit, y'all!



    


2 comments:

  1. This is REALLY yummy, and it warms up briefly in a microwave to be just as yummy the second time! This is my favorite breakfast caserole!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.