Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

July 27, 2010

What's for dinner??

Well, tonight was a "comfort food" kind of night. I'm nursing a summer cold and just generally feel yucky; so I made one of my FAVORITE feel-good casseroles. I got the recipe from my bestee, Jodi. This dish always makes me feel all cozy inside. It's fast and easy...and most of all YUMMO.

Jodi's Chicken Divan
(serves 5-7)
 (um, it was so good I ate it all before I got a photo)

**all measurements are guesstimations, deal with it**
2-3 chicken breast halves (boiled and cut in 1-inch cubes)
2 broccoli crowns with stems (crowns broken up into florets, stems sliced about 1/4 inch thick)
1 can cream of "anything" soup (chicken, mushroom, celery...whatever you have on hand)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (don't use Miracle Whip...that just tastes yucky in this)
1/4 cup milk (enough to give sauce consistency of thick salad dressing)
2 cups grated cheese (I use "yellow" cheese like Colby or mild cheddar)
1-2 cups bread crumbs (I like lots of bread crumbs)
1/2 stick melted butter
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder (give or take)
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)

Cook broccoli in pan (with about 2 inches water in bottom) until almost done...but not-quite tender (don't want it mushy). Drain. Spray 11x7 baking pan with cooking spray (can use 9x13--but may take more "stuff" to fill pan). Spread cooked chicken pieces, evenly, over bottom of pan. Spread steamed broccoli over chicken layer. In bowl, mix canned soup, mayonnaise, milk, 1/2 tsp garlic powder until well blended. Spoon/pour evenly over broccoli. Spread on layer of grated cheese (I like LOTS). Mix bread crumbs, melted butter, remaining garlic powder, salt and pepper (oh, sometimes I add grated Parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs...sometimes I don't). Finally, spread buttered bread crumbs over whole thing. Pop it in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned, cheese is melty, and it's hot all the way through. 
Voila...it's like a warm blanket on a fork. Eat up ya'all!




1 comment:

  1. I'm soooo friggin' hungry now. What time is dinner, I'm on my way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.