Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

September 20, 2011

Gettin' Krafty

My bestee, Jodi, recently turned me on to the unique look/beauty of colored pencils on kraft paper. Kraft paper--you know the stuff--think paper lunch bags. It's brown, it's bland, some would even call it...mundane. But, it's not just for sack lunches anymore. Something magical happens when you lay down colored pencil on top of it. It transmogrifies, like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon, to bloom with the rich look of pastels--without the smeary mess. Simply put, kraft paper brings colored pencils to life. And, since colored pencils are my coloring agent of choice...I just knew this technique was destined to be a match made in papercrafting heaven.

For this card, I used kraft-colored cardstock (since I was fresh out of lunch bags). I know this would work GREAT using big brown-paper shopping bags. Next time I go to the grocery store and they ask me "Paper or plastic"...I'm gettin' paper. I made this card as a belated birthday card for my Aunt Sherry. She is a hard-core rock 'n' roller--has been as long as I can remember. She plays the electric bass. So when I found this stamp by KennyK, I knew it belonged on a card for her.


Originally, I was going to paper tole it. But it just wasn't flying. So I broke down and just colored the whole stamp...PAINSTAKINGLY...with my Prismacolor pencils. I love my Prismas. And, on kraft paper...they are TOTALLY rockin'!!! Kraft paper, who knew??




I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:


Ingredients: 
Digital Stamp - KennyK
Inverted scallop circle dies - Spellbinders
Monogram poker chip - MaisyMo
Colored Pencils - Prismacolor
Floral embossing plate - Sizzix
chalk
Scalloped edge punch - Martha Stewart
Adhesive gems -K&Co
Ribbon (the white holey stuff is actually what's left over from making sequins)
foam spacers
cardstock



6 comments:

  1. I had no doubt you would rock this technique - and this card proves it. Love it as I am sure Sherry will as well! You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, sweetie! I even entered it in the Craft Your Passion blog hop. I'm getting my crafting feet wet, again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is RIDICULOUSLY awesome! I mean, REALLY. I don't know that I can ever make another card again after seeing how cool and so much detail this has!!! Wow.. speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this card truly ROCK!

    Love how you used punchinella. And the colouring is awsame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool card! I too love my prismas. I'll have to try them on kraft paper - that's new to me. I love the look.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.