Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

March 7, 2016

King for a Day

Hidy Ho, crafty peeps!

I'm here today with a project for Crafter's Companion.

I have TOTALLY fallen in love with their Spectrum Aqua watercolor markers.

They act/respond EXACTLY like watercolors (because they are watercolors)--but they are a lot cleaner. It's so much fun to paint images with them, because you never know exactly how it's going to turn out! That's the beauty (and frustration) of working with watercolors.

I've learned to just let them do whatever they're gonna do...because (let's face it), trying to control watercolors is like herding cats on unicycles.

Life is SOoooo much better when I just let them do their own thing. Besides, that painterly effect is gorgeous!

King For A Day
I used this beautiful stamp of a Kingfisher by Crafter's Companion. Let me tell you...I studied several photographs of Kingfishers for a very LONG time. They are complex little birds when it comes to the coloring of their plumage. They have these rows of little light blue dots on their wings, a light blue stripe down their backs, and the cutest, stubbiest little tails!
 
To simulate the dots, I did a color wash over the entire wing, then actually pulled paint off the paper by wetting my brush...dabbing it on the paper and immediately blotting it with paper towel--over and over and over again and again and again until the pigment pulled out of the paper fiber.

That is one thing I love about working with watercolor. If you make a mistake, you just use that method I just described to effectively "erase" the errant paint.

Here is a closeup of my painting detail.
I think I'm getting pretty darn good with these wonderful markers!!! I know I'm having a ball with them! I've always admired and wanted to be a watercolor artist. With these markers, I think I can be!

Crafter's Companion products used:
Thank you for finding your way over here to Left Field! Come back ANYTIME...I'd say the door is always open...but there are no doors here!

1 comment:

  1. Huzzah! What a beauty and a keeper! Love the coloring of that Kingfisher and the overall card is beautifully done Torrey!
    ~ginny
    RubberMAD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.