Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

March 6, 2016

Robin Eggs

Hidy Ho, crafty peeps!

It's the mid-way point in our current challenge at House Mouse and Friends, but first, I wanna talk a little about my favorite things in Spring.

Here, in Texas, Spring arrives abruptly. One day it's Winter...the next day, BAM, Spring has sprung.

It's not gradual, like it is in Colorado.

Here, in Texas, it's more like God turns on the Spring light switch. Overnight, trees bud, daffodils and tulips suddenly appear in full regalia, and the temperature clears the 70-degree mark on its way to 80. But in Colorado (where I grew up), Spring is a process. It's NOT instantaneous. It's teasingly slow.

One of my favorite things about growing up in Colorado, was seeing the first robins of the season. Robins, to me, are the sentinels of Spring. They heralded the impending departure of Old Man Winter, and ushered in the wondrous beginnings that were Spring.

I enjoyed seeing the crocuses (or is that croci?) peeking their little purple heads through snow. These were followed by Grape Hyacinths and Henbit. I especially love Henbit. It's considered a weed, but not to me.  I think it's beautiful...and it's edible too. When the Henbit is out, you KNOW it's Spring. The flowers look like little orchids....little, TEENY TINY, orchids. When I say tiny...I mean TINY. The flowers are only about 1/4 inch long. When you get enough of them together in one place...they cover the ground in a blanket of lavender. So lovely. Luckily, we have Henbit here in Texas too.
Henbit
(aka Lamium amplexicaule)
But I digress.

Back to the robins.

I really like robins...from their rusty-red breasts, to their beautifully speckled turquoise eggs--robins are really cool.

In Colorado, the robins have very rusty breasts...theirs are really more of a light brown with a copper tinge than they are "red".

Here, in Texas, the robins have MUCH redder breast plumage. Their breasts are brick red...almost barn red.

So, for my mid-way project for House Mouse and Friends "Easter" challenge, I chose to honor that faithful steward of Spring--the Robin. I colored it up to be a sort of cross between a Colorado robin and a Texas Robin--I guess that would be an Oklahoma Robin.

I chose the ADORABLE "Jelly Bean Bird" stamp (available from Stampendous).
Now, I've only ever seen people color up this bird to look like an Easter chick--all yellow with an orange beak. This (of course) is NOT  how I see this cute little bird...because to me, this bird - perched up on that ginormous pile of jelly beans - is, and always will be, a ROBIN.  I don't know if that is what Ellen Jareckie envisioned when she drew it...but, to me, it's a Robin. Here's a closeup so you can see what I'm talking about! See? It's a ROBIN.
I colored this fun image using my Prismacolor Premier colored pencils. No surprise there. I even made the robin sort of fuzzy looking on top of its head by dragging some of the color onto the background with a blending stub. Neat trick, huh?

Since this is a ROBIN...it only made sense that it be sitting on a pile of turquoise jelly beans (obviously having mistaken them for its nest). Luckily, little Muzzy was there (pen in hand) to "correct" the label on the jar. He's a true friend...that Muzzy!

Oh yeah...I did alter the stamped image a bit...I added the pen image under Muzzy's paw... (I made it in Photoshop, then cut it out of cardstock). The original stamp does not have that feature. I also paper-toled (decoupaged) various parts of the image--the robin, Muzzy, the pen, and the "eggs" resting in front of the jar. I fussy-cut all those elements out and mounted them over the original image with thin foam tape to make it 3-D.
You still have PLENTY of time to enter
our challenge!!!
http://www.inlinkz.com/new/view.php?id=605684

I'd like to enter this card in the following challenges:

Thanks, as always, for coming out to visit me here in Left Field!

May all your days be crafty ones!










8 comments:

  1. Torrey, awesome coloring. Your little Robin looks seriously like he's protecting those many eggs. Love his fuzzieness. Fun card.

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card, love the robin! Thanks for taking part in the Gruffies & Guests Flowers/Anything Goes challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done it again, Torrey ... another fabulous work of art! I do love that you made the bird a Robin and had her sit on Robin's eggs. You've colored it all so beautifully too. Love the soft edges and the changes you made.

    Hugs,
    Snoopy :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE this Torrey, the little robin is super cute and your colouring is amazeballs! Love the robins eggs too and the addition of Muzzy's pen and his fabulous handwriting is brilliant! you really are such an inspiration!

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card and I love your image and your card design. Thanks for joining us at ABC, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous card Torrey :) love how you colored the robin , it looks spectacular . Great techniques you have also used. Thanks for playing along at Gruffies and Guests. Hugs,Vicky DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card! thank you for joining us at Gruffies & Guests hope to see you again and good luck in the draw DT Shaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card, love the little changes you have made and the bird looks fantastic as a robin!. Thank you for joining in our challenge over at Gruffies & Guests. Angela (DT).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.