Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

May 23, 2016

Something Old...Nothing New

Hidy ho, crafty peeps!

It's Monday, so that means it's time for a new challenge at 
House Mouse and Friends!!

The theme this time is
Something Old...Nothing New

I happen to be the hostess for the challenge this time around.  Here is how I came up with the theme...

Did you know that May 17 was National Pack Rat day? This prompted me to look around  my uber-cluttered studio, which made me realize that the time for cleaning up and moving stuff OUT is LONG overdue. 

I have this little cartoon that my mom clipped from the newspaper and gave to me about 8 years ago. It still hangs on the front of my fridge--held in place by a magnet from Wisconsin of a 3-D polymer clay cow head with a real, teeny-tiny cowbell (don't ask). I thought I'd share that comic with you. I actually took it off my fridge, dusted it off, and scanned the sucker.

Looking at it now makes me cringe...because it's SO true.

It was funny 8 years ago...but as I get older, the humor has been replaced with the horrible realization that I, too, (like both my parents) am a pack rat. What horrifies me is the fact that I do NOT have kids that I can "save" MY stuff for, let alone all my parent's stuff. When I go...I will leave behind a veritable TREASURE TROVE...of STUFF.


So, for this challenge, I challenge you to make a project using NOTHING new. That means ONLY OLD cardstock, patterned paper, embellishments, stamps, ink, coloring mediums, adhesive...NOTHING can be newer than 1 year old. I think that's MORE THAN fair. I was actually thinking about making people use nothing newer than 10 years old...but I'm nice.

Of course, there is ALWAYS the option of "Anything Goes" if you just HAVE to use new stuff. But come on...I KNOW how paper crafters are. We are the penultimate hoarders to end all hoarders! So dig through your stickers, papers, stamps, embellies and create something FaBuLoUs!
Here is my project:
I used the oh-so-cute "Dipped in Chocolate" stamp from the now-defunct Stampa Rosa company (may it rest in peace). I colored it up with my Prismacolor pencils. I found this REALLY old patterned paper from "Paper Pizazz" by HOTP in my stash...remember them? 

Back then, they were the ONLY patterned paper manufacturers. It was all 8.5 x 11 inches in size and a great many of their designs were photographs (like this lovely chocolate chip paper--which my husband actually really wanted me NOT to cut into--ha ha ha ha). 

Following is a list of what products I used and their ages.
  • Dipped in Chocolate stamp (Stampa Rosa) - 17 years old
  • Chocolate Chip patterned paper (Hot Off the Press) - 16 years old
  • Striped paper and "be silly" sticker (Colorbok) - 5 years old
  • cardstock - 5-8 years old
  • Prismacolor pencils - 6 years old
  • Ribbon - 8 years old
  • Oval die (Spellbinders--before Nestability dies) - 12 years old
  • Deckle scissors (Fiskars) - 17 years old
  • ATG adhesive - 4 years old.
  • Paper trimmer (Fiskars) - 17 years old
  • scissors (Cutterbees) - 7 years old
We have wonderful prizes (from fabulous sponsors) to give away for this challenge!

*** SPONSORS ***


We are thrilled to be welcoming back our AWESOME sponsor,
the Official Mousey Family, House-Mouse Designs(R)
 

HMD is offering a Lucky player a $20 Gift Certificate to go shopping at the official House-Mouse Designs(R) site! Eeeeek!!  How exciting is that? 
*******************************
Second SPONSOR is

http://www.stampendous.com/
Winner will receive a Fabulous $20 Value Reward Card


  http://www.stampendous.com/
In July 2013, Stampendous was proud and excited to become the official rubber stamp licensee of House-Mouse Designs®. Since that time we’ve released over 235 House-Mouse, Happy Hoppers, and Gruffies images as wood mounted or Cling Rubber stamps that can also be purchased at: www.STAMPENDOUS.comFor lots more inspiration from Stampendous, be sure to check out their other sites:
 STAMPENDOUS! Blog, The official Stampendous! Website (to Purchase Products).
 You can also find Stampendous! on Pinterest  and on Facebook.  

Winner MUST reside in the USA or CANADA to win the Stampendous! prize. 
*******************************

ADDITIONAL PRIZE
(being the consummate pack rat that I am)
I am gifting a surprise goodie bag 
(bits of vintage paper crafting goodness collected from my coveted stash)
to the person who uses the OLDEST stuff!*
To qualify for a chance at this prize package, please tell me, in your post, what it is you used and how old it is!
One catch...the winner has to live in the U.S. 
(sorry, but international postage is a killer).
*In the event of a tie...I will put all the hoarders' names
into a hat and draw out one (maybe two, or even three).


To enter, just click the picture below
http://www.inlinkz.com/new/luAddLink.php?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fhousemouse-challenge.blogspot.com%2F&id=635063&cookie=acec1ab6fbe6


7 comments:

  1. Torrey fantastic image and very beautiful card
    Gr Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card and loving this challenge! I have to say, though, I don't have any consumable supplies more than five years old. If it's not getting used, I box it up and let my friends at church go through it or pack it up as prizes or giveaways. I do it for many reasons, mostly because I don't have the space to store it, to make way for new things, to pass things on to people who can use it, and I work better when things are not chaotic.

    Hugs,
    Snoopy :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun card Torrey, I'm amazed you know how old your stash !!

    hugs Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this funny HM image, Torrey, great to use some of the old stuff ! Thanks for a great chall theme ;)
    hugs Dorte

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, fabulous card Torrey, sadly I don't have this stamp but it does crack me up every time I see it! :-)

    your comic strip made me laugh too, our kids have left home and our cupboards are full of stuff! I was just saying that we need to do a big clear out! U can't get anything into them because they are crammed full of old junk! some cupboards haven't been opened in years ,,,,, I dread to think what will be lurking in the corners lol

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful card, Torrey. The cherry background looks great, and that fun image always makes me smile. HOTP is still in business and they have an awesome website with lots of how to videos and endless supplies.....and still run by the same woman after all these years, goes under the name of Paper Wishes.

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful card, Torrey. The cherry background looks great, and that fun image always makes me smile. HOTP is still in business and they have an awesome website with lots of how to videos and endless supplies.....and still run by the same woman after all these years, goes under the name of Paper Wishes.

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.