Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

November 15, 2011

One Man's Trash...Waste Not, Want Not.

What most people see: Trash, empties, discards
What I see: Endless possibilities

I admit it. I'm a magpie. What's a magpie, you ask? Well, it's a bird. A very stately looking bird, I might add. It has a glorious long tail and looks like it's wearing a tuxedo. But that is not why I am a magpie. I don't even OWN a tuxedo, silly people.

You see, magpies are the Fred Sanfords of nature. They collect stuff. LOTS of stuff. You just never know what you'll find in a magpie's nest--jewelry, string, foil, bottle caps, bits of colored paper. I happen to have ALL that stuff (and more) in my studio... so you see, I am a magpie.

Over at Bombshell Stamps, the November monthly challenge is "Waste Not". Celina (Miss November) challenged us to make a project using scraps. I LOVED this!!! But you know me...I can't just leave it at that. Instead of just using scraps, I decided to see if I could craft a card that was made out of GARBAGE. Yep, you read that right...I actually dug through my recycle bin for this project.

Here's some of what I used:

Here's the end result!

Closer look

SUPER CUTE...inoright? You would never  guess this card was made out of GARBAGE!! 
One man's trash really IS another man's  treasure! 

I'd like to enter this card in the following challenge:
 The Spotted Chick - That's Krafty Thursday #56

Ingredients:
Nestability Dies - Spellbinders (Labels 10, Deckle Rectangle)
Star brads - Creative Impressions
Prismacolor colored pencils
Glue Glider Pro - Glue Arts
brown stamping ink - Colorbox

Recycled objects used: 
  • paper sack (ran through printer for cowgirl and boots images; die cut for matting shapes)
  • handle from paper sack (raised frame around image)
  • fabric scrap ("ribbon")
  • cardboard (background)
  • cereal box (card base)
  • patterned paper scrap (background element)
  • stuff that falls out of your border punch ("buckskin" fringe on left side of mat)
  • leftover stuff from pop dots (used to raise various elements off underlying layer)

7 comments:

  1. Wow! This is amazing! I love that you used so many things that most of us would have just tossed. Very cool card!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely totally fabulous. I LOVE that you used so many things from your recycling bin.

    I didn't realize that you had printed and colored directly on the shopping bag AND has used one of the handles as a frame!!!

    Brilliant card with so many wonderful details.

    So, when we lived in the UK, we DID have magpies. We also had our milk delivered. The milk came in cute small glass bottles sealed with a shiny metallic paper cap.

    One day I noticed that the seal had a puncture. I figured it was an oops by the delivery guy. It happened a second time, so I thought "Okay, stuff happens!" Third time, I thought, "WTH?!?" So I asked the milkman. He told me it was our magpies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my most favorite images and what you have done with it is just wonderful. I am just not good at taking things and turning them into something else. You obviously are. Love all the textures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Torrey...this card is amazing sweetie, loving the texture on your card & such fantastic detail too...love it!!
    hugs and xxx
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this is the best looking trash I've ever seen! I think the use of the handle for the frame is inspired!
    Craftilicious x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Amazing how you turned all the "trash" to this treasure. Fab job, Torrey! :)

    Cheers,
    Jenny
    http://cookieadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Torrey, girl you ROCK! Man, how on earth do you color like this? I see a tutorial in your future!! Puh-leeese??? I LOVE IT! Thanks so much for playing along in my That's Krafty Thursday challenge! {{{hen hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.