Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

May 20, 2015

8-bit Kisses, Jalapeno Wishes, and Dandelion Dreams

Hidy ho, crafty peeps!

This is the time of year when my card making goes into hyper-drive.  Multiple birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, anniversaries, and graduation find me sequestered away in my studio for days on end. Colored pencils fly across the paper and scissors move so quickly they become a fussy-cutting blur that covers my floor with paper shrapnel in a 3-foot radius around my chair.

You can count how many days I've been at this by the growing collection of mostly-empty water bottles that now litter my work desk.

My studio looks absolutely post-apocalyptic, and I have barely begun.

5 cards down... 9 or so to go.

Geeze Louise...that means I'm not even half way there.

Sigh.

Here are the latest cards in the lineup--Jonathan's birthday, Jodi's birthday, and Richard's birthday. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm kinda stuck on House Mouse images at the moment. I'm certain this phase will pass. But, for now, a lot of people on my list are getting some iteration of House Mouse...and some images are being used for multiple cards.

Jonathan's Birthday
For Jonathan's Birthday, I decided on an 8-bit game theme...Classic Nintendo. I constructed the game controller (and cord) by hand out of cardstock. It's about 1/4 inch thick. The controller base is actually a little flat box out of matching cardstock. I know the details are a bit wonky...but I cut it all out by hand, so yeah...it's wonky...but he knew EXACTLY what it was when he saw it. Phew. I kept the background simple by just using the "A2 Arrows" (Paper Studio) directly on the card base.
 
Inside details:
 
Jodi's Birthday
I have a thing for dandelions. Whenever I see their fluffy little heads, I'm compelled to pick them, close my eyes, make a wish, and blow all their seeds off. I know it's corny. Corny is a good thing. I really like dandelions. They're far-too maligned a flower. One man's weed is another's prized blossom. They're a treasure...just like Jodi. This stamp is called "Make a Wish" by House Mouse (Stampendous). The circles are made with "Loopy Circle" Nestability dies (Spellbinders). The card boasts lots of layers, patterns, and textures and just the right amount of bling...just like Jodi.

 Coloring Details:
I paper-toled (some call it decoupaged) the image in layers so that it's 3-D.
Yes, I colored it with colored pencil. Why even ask?


Richard's Birthday
As I've posted in here before, Richard is a "Pepper Belly". He puts hot pepper on EVERYTHING. I've decided he does this because his taste buds are all worn out. He doesn't necessarily like mice...but I do. This House Mouse stamp is called "Jalapeno Peppers" (Stampa Rosa). I believe it's retired. I coated the pepper, jar, and candles with crystal lacquer to make them shiny. The diecut background circles were made with "Inverted Scallop Circle" Nestability dies (Spellbinders). The green accent paper was punched with a Martha Stewart edge punch. Don't ask me the name of it. This image, too, is paper-toled (decoupaged) and colored with Prismacolor pencils. I wanted bling on this card too...but it had to be "manly bling". How'd I do?

I would like to enter the Jalapeno card in the House-Mouse & Friends contest 

Thanks, as always, for coming out to Left Field!!!




5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous second entry for our challenge, Torrey. Those bright fun colors look great, and you have colored up that funny image to perfection. Thanks for joining and sharing another card with us at the House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge.

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzer cute mousey cards gorgeous vibrant colour combos, clever use of HM images..
    Thanks for sharing with us at House Mouse & Friends Mon. chall..

    smiles Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Goodness Im in LOVE!!! What a treat! Not one, but Two amazing House-Mouse Adorably Gorgeous cards! WOW! Love the colors, fantastic coloring and fabulous detailing on both! That Jalapeno one is amazing! So glad your card-making is on HYPER-DRIVE this time of year! heheh... Thank you for playing with us at HMFMC / House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge Good Luck to you. Hope you can join us again tomorrow for a brand New Challenge too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely House Mouse cards you are sharing with us, Torrey, love the one with the cupcake, beautifully coloured and designed...thank you for sharing with us at House Mouse and Friends! Good luck and hope to see you again !
    Dorte x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell you had fun making these! Fabulous! Thanks for joining us at House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge. Hope to see you again on the next challenge!

    Hugs,Snoopy :D​

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.